3.3.11

Controlled shopping spree...or?

This winter I have been trying to control my shopping a bit. Reasons;

- I'm sick of the consumer society where consuming=happiness and people buy things for the sake of buying. I don't want to become someone who does that.

- I have too much stuff already, do I really, really need more...? 

- I have a huge pile of to-alter items that have been waiting for action, maybe I should focus on making what I already have wearable instead of adding to the pile? What is ultimately more satisfying, buying new/second hand or making/altering something myself? Personally, being the creative person that I am, I think the second option...

- I'm trying to change my way of thinking in the direction of "being happy with what you've got" in order to make myself, well, happier! 

All this has made me a lot picker on the few occasions that I actually have gone shopping, as I am really trying to think about whether I really need  something or just want it. Will it fit with other items in my wardrobe/home? Is it practical etc. And yes, I have also considerably limited myself when it comes to actually going somewhere to shop. Why did I feel like going shopping? Because I need something or just for the sake of shopping? Could I make something instead of going out? I have also struggled a bit with accepting that coming home empty handed is not a failure, but a success. This one is still hard... 

Anybody else recognize these kinds of thoughts? 

So basically I was doing pretty well. Until we went to the big city of Vaasa and all of it's shops last weekend...


On the other hand, I really, really liked this jacket/jumper (from H&M) and I have been looking for some high-waisted jeans (second hand but look brand new) for a long time already. The stripy socks are also H&M.


The stripey top is an item that I have tried on a few times before in the H&M shops, and now I finally came to the conclusion that I must want it, as it keeps catching my eye time and time again...The shoes are mail-order H&M, with blue and white stripes which means that they are likely to match about 50% of my wardrobe and thus, totally acceptable, even thought they are one size too big and will probably hurt my feet if I wear them for very long...Everything else is old stuff from my closet.

This is no so bad you may think, but wait for it, apart from the items I'm showing here I also bought some other stuff,  such as a basic white tank top and a black and white dotted umbrella from H&M. And from a flea-market recommended by Tiina I ended up buying things such as a couple of stripey jumpers, a basic black short sleeved shirt, a black skirt (modern) and two modern summer dresses and a book on basic pattern making. Get why I'm now wondering about the success of this trip?

I blame our upcoming trip to Grand Canaria. You can never have too many of those summer dresses, right?

10 kommentarer:

Vintage Girl sa...

Kitten, these are good points you are making. It's a struggle to make these choices. For me, thrifting is a hobby, my closet is small so I have to be picky with what I bring home too. Love the things you found enjoy them.

Erika sa...

Fina saker! Ha inte dåligt samvete, du kommer få användning för allt. Blev som sy-nörden jag är såklart väldigt nyfiken på boken! =)

Jag fick en liknande tankeställare i höstas efter ett fantastiskt blogginlägg jag läste någonstans (ska se om jag kan hitta det). Det fick mig att omvärdera vad som krävs för att jag ska köpa något, att inte handla något bara för att det är billigt och ok.
För att det ska vara värt att köpa så ska jag 1) verkligen älska det 2) vara beredd att betala 200 kr mer än det kostar 3) veta exakt var jag ska ställa det hemma (utan "när jag gjort om det där"-lösningar).

Loppisshoppingen har blivit mycket enklare med dessa riktlinjer, men även shopping av kläder och moderna saker. Jag jobbar dock på att applicera det på tyger, syböcker och sybehör... Har blivit bättre, men har en bit kvar.

Överlag så uppskattar jag mina inköp mer nu när de är mer genomtänkta. Efter julen i Stockholm hade jag samma känsla som du nu, men jag är glad åt varenda grej som kom med mig hem.

Mrs Munster sa...

I try not to buy to much stuff. I don't need it and it just clutters the house. Great outfits. I have a similar jacket and looking forward to warmer weathers to wear it.

Unknown sa...

Mycket snygg kombination med den randiga toppen. Och just de där skorna har jag varit sugen på ända sen katalogen damp ner i brevlådan. Kanske jag måste slå till medan de finns i min storlek. Randiga blå skor har jag faktiskt inte. Inte ens blå skor. Så det rättfärdigar väl ett skoköp till?! :)

Rakel sa...

De stripete skoene fra H&M har jeg tittet på også, de er så fine!
Wedges er alltid bra på sommeren :)

ina sa...

You made a lot of good points. Especially about shopping for the sake of shopping. I actually feel quite good now that I haven't been shopping for a while (all those things I didn't need...). But the day after tomorrow it's Helsinki Vintage so I can allow myself a little shopping spree....

Kitten loves vintage sa...

Vintage Girl; Thank you, glad to know I'm not the only one being picky out there! :)

Erika; Boken är faktiskt en kursbok för de som studerar till sömmerskor, kanske jag lägger upp några bilder?
Kriterium nummer två var verkligen tänkvärt, det ska jag komma ihåg! Tror också man uppskattar köpen mer när man valt dem noggrannare...Ha en fin helg!

Mrs Munster; You have a good attitude! I'm also looking forward to warmer weather, so much nice stuff to wear then!!

Maritha; Absolut! Annat är det ju om man redan har nåt liknande...

Rakel; Visst är de? Hoppas fötterna står ut med dem bara...

Ina; Helsinki vintage sounds like a good reason to break the rules in my ears. I wish I could come but I'm working all weekend. That, and I live about 500 km from Helsinki...

Miss Rascal sa...

Don't feel bad.
I haven't purchased any new things at all so far this year but I have gone a bit mad on Etsy and eBay.
I do however sort through my stuff and sell what I'm "too old for", I'm 31 and some stuff really doesn't suit my age anymore.
My PayPal account isn't that happy at the moment but I've got a whole lot for my money since I'm sensible and frugal.
The stuff I got now will still look cool on me when I'm in my 40's or even 50's.

Go with timeless items that will look good on you even five or ten years from now and try and sell what you no longer want, that way you can sleep well at night. :)

Love what you got on your little spree. You look stunning as usual. <3

Kitten loves vintage sa...

Rascal; All my thoughts concerned second hand shopping too, as I have noticed I sometimes buy thing just cos they're cheap :/ But I think I will start using Erika's advice and ask myself if I'd still want it if it cost 20 euros more...And your thoughts on buying timeless pieces is also something I'll try to keep in mind, I'm turning 27 this summer...

The Freelancer's FashionBlog sa...

Hu, jag har ocksåp shoppat en massa nyligen! Ohc jag som vill bli av med saker. Men det värsta är att man känner sig bra genom att konsumera. O andra sidan har jag lärt mig att det känns lika bra efteråt ifall man låtit bli att köpa något, eller väntat ett par dagar och märtk att man mycket väl kan leva utan det man suktat efter. Fast ibland så hittar mna ju saker man verkligen på riktigt vill ah och kanske t-om behöver...

Snygga outfits fick du ihop iallafall :)