26.4.10

3 x vintage dresses

I've been lucky this week. On a tour of the local charity shops I started talking to the old ladies in one of the shops about how I'm looking for older stuff, and what do you know, turns out they've got a bag of "old stuff" put to the side in case they drop by from the local theatre looking for costumes...Apparently nobody else is interested in stuff that old!? Well, all the more for me! This was the newest item, late 50's-60's maybe?


I haven't cut my hair again, in the pictures I've got it under-pinned (I think that's what it's called). It's basically folded under at the back and pinned to my head. Instant short neck!

As usual all items were slightly too big for me, but I just couldn't leave them to gather dust in the wardrobe of the theatre...Maybe I could take them in a little?

The next dress is my favourite, it just falls so nicely, and the embroidery is so pretty, and it's got self-covered buttons going up the side...It's about 20 cm to long for me, I'm wearing my highest heels (12cm?) in the picture and it still touches the floor. The dress needs a wash really badly, the massive sweat stains aren't too pretty, but I'm not quite sure how to wash it, it's kinda delicate. I'm guessing it's from the 30's or early 40's.


The last dress I'm pretty sure is from the 40's. And no, I haven't washed or ironed this one either, I could not wait to show it off and maybe get some tips on washing and ironing. After all, I don't actually own much real vintage, since it's so rare around here. Most of the few pieces I've got are cotton or other materials that I dare wash in the machine...


So if anyone out there can tell me anything more about these dresses (decade, washing tips etc.) I'd be grateful!

9 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

Woohoo, vilka fynd du har gjort! Grattis!!! :) Kan inte riktigt hjälpa till med tvätt/skötselråd dock, jag äger själv inte precis överflödande många äkta vintageplagg (hittills...). :( Men det finns det säkert andra som kan. :)

fröken lila sa...

i don't know, but when i'm not sure i usually go with "if it's natural fibers you should be able to soak it in cold water with a very mild soap over night and then rinse it with cold water." i usually use sensitive shampoo, works well for wool, cotton, even silk. dry it flat, and you could also try to hang it over a bathtub full of hot water so that the steam takes out some of the dirt/smell. if it is silk or wool, don't iron it too hot and always put a clean white cloth in between. for wool i use a wet cloth in between to give it more steam.

however, no guarantees =)
and by the way, should you ever want to part with that second dress, i'll happily take it!

Miss K sa...

Love love love! Especially that middle one!

My grandmother taught me to iron by putting an old pillowcase or old sheets (cut to a smaller piece ofcourse!) over the garment to protect it. The garment will still iron, but as the iron doesn't directly touch it you can't damage it.

Goodluck!

Tess, That'll Do sa...

That last dress is interesting! If it is 40's, it looks like it has sort of an Edwardian inspiration to it. These are great finds.

Kitten loves vintage sa...

Maritha; Tack i alla fall :)

Fröken Lila; Thanks for the advice, I think I might try this hand wash powder called Y3, it says it's for delicate items such as wool and silk and the like, and contains no perfume etc. But I'm a litte scared...

Miss K; Thanks, I think I'll do that once I get the clothes washed.

Tess; You are absolutely right, I knew there was something that didn't quite fit. Could it really be that old? I am certainly no expert ;) I think I'm gonna have to research the edwardian period a bit now...

Zizzi sa...

Vilka fina! Jag läste i min "husmorsguide" hur man ska tvätta bort svett:
Koka plagget på spisen (om plagget tål så hög värme) eller tvätta med vatten utspätt med lite ättika. Jag har inte testat detta själv än, men jag tänkte ett litet tips, om du vill prova.
Kram cissi

Kitten loves vintage sa...

Zizzi; Tack för tipsen, koka plagget vågar jag nog inte, men kanske lite ättika...?

Erika sa...

Ohhh, vilka fynd! Och jag tycker de ser ut att sitta riktigt bra. Den första klänningen är lite stor i midjan, men det löser man ju enkelt med ett skärp.

Klänning två kommer bli en helt fantastisk aftonklänning! Har inga direkta tips på att tvätta den, utom att du måste ju ändå korta den eller hur? Då kan du ju använda delar av det bortklippta tyget för att prova lite olika tvättsätt och värmelägen! Helt perfekt sätt att inte riskera den otroligt vackra klänningen som i mina ögon ser ut som sent 30-tal/tidigt 40-tal.

Vilken tur att du började prata med dem, tänk att de hade sådana skatter undanstoppade!
Lycka till med tvättning och strykning!

Kitten loves vintage sa...

Erika; Tack, idén med att provtvätta och stryka det som jag klipper bort var ju jättebra, det ska jag göra!

Klänning 1 känns väldigt stor över axlarna också, så jag funderar om jag trots all ska ta in den lite...